11 Tiny Tricks That Make Life a Tad Better
Make these small tweaks to your home and daily routine, and life will be easier, less rushed and maybe healthier too.
Life can be busy and downright tough at times, so it’s understandable that we all seek ways to simplify everyday tasks. If you’re nodding your head in agreement because you’re always looking for ways to make your days less full-on and more fulfilling, try these life-enhancing ideas and see if they don’t help you enjoy the simpler pleasures.
1. Eat at your dinner table. Rather than having a quick bite at your breakfast bar or eating on the run, tweak your schedule to carve out time to prepare a proper meal, set your table and sit down to eat. You can use this time to catch up, laugh and bond with family or housemates, an important ritual we can neglect when life gets busy. If you’re eating alone, it can be an opportunity to slow down and relax. The simple act of sitting down to a home-cooked meal at your dinner table will encourage you to savor the food — and might even help you be a bit healthier too.
2. Set up a tea station in your boudoir. If you enjoy sipping a cup of steaming-hot tea first thing in the morning or before you go to bed, why not set up a tea station in your bedroom? It’ll save you from leaving the comfort of your bedroom before you really need to, as everything you’ll want to make the perfect cuppa will be just a few steps from your bed.Choose a spot that’s close to a power outlet so you can easily plug in an electric kettle. You’ll also need space for your tea-making essentials, including one or two cups, a few tins of your favorite tea blends and whatever else you like in your brew. Set these items on a breakfast tray to keep things tidy. The tray will also come in handy if you want to transfer cups of tea to and from the bed.
3. Scatter motivational phrases around your home. Some days it’s hard to get motivated for the day ahead. Motivational quotes around your home can lift your spirits when you need a pick-me-up.
4. Pick out your outfit the day before. I don’t know about you, but it takes me ages to work out what I’m going to wear every morning. Not because I’m trying to dress to impress, but rather because of the many variables that come into play, like my mood, the weather, what needs ironing and what I have planned for the day. Do yourself a favor and plan ahead.
5. Add the scent of cinnamon. If you love cooking but hate the smells that infiltrate your house when you use ingredients that have a heavy scent (seafood, garlic, bacon and curry, I’m looking at you), simmer some water and a few sticks of cinnamon on the stove while you cook. The fragrance will help mask pungent odors until they fade away.If you don’t like the smell of cinnamon, try citrus peels, a few drops of vanilla extract or a couple of tablespoons of baking soda instead. Boiling one or two cups of vinegar on the stove will also do the job.